Managing Animal’s Pain is the ‘Right thing’ to do
Canadian Veterinary Medical Association Position Statement on Pain Control
- The Horse Welfare Report: Alberta
- Includes the history of horse meat consumption, laws and guidelines for the treatment of horses and for food safety, an Alberta based look at the industry, information on the opposition to horse meat plants, and other issues and recommended action.
- Recommended Handling Guidelines and Animal Welfare Assessment Tool for Horses
- Provides information on how to obtain a comprehensive guideline on animal welfare standards for handling horses.
- Animal Welfare and Horse Processing Fact Sheet
- Answers questions such as: why do we have horsemeat processing plants, how would eliminating horse processing in Canada affect horses, and why horse processing plants closed in the United States
- Horse Welfare: Action Needed to Address Unintended Consequences from Cessation of Domestic Slaughter -GOA Report from the United States Highlights page • Full Report
- Looking at the impact of horse slaughterhouse closures in the United States on Canada, Mexico, and the States itself.
- American Association of Equine Practitioners Position Statement on Processing
- States the position of the AAEP on the transportation and processing of horses, recognizing that the consumption of horsemeat is personal issue and their concern is with the humane treatment of horses while still alive.
- Equine Information Document
- Includes a link to the Equine Information Document that is required in Canada for all horses that are presented at a processing facility.
- Equine Traceability in Alberta
- Explains the three pillars of Equine Traceability in Alberta: Premises Id, Equine Id, and Animal Movement.
- National Equine Traceability Study – Equine Canada
- Describing the outline of a national telephone survey conducted by Strategic Equine Inc. of Newmarket, Ontario in 2010 asking people selected at random from membership lists about their horses and their participation in the industry.
- OIE Traceability of Equidae – a Population in Motion
- Explains the need for better equine traceability, proper sanitary certification, and identification regulations in order to stop the spread of disease from horse transport.
- Premises Identifcation
- A link to the Premises Identification Application from and the mailing address to send it.