Extension Lead – Maternity Leave Coverage
Term: February 2023 to December 2023, with the option to continue on in the position.
Contractor Half-time position – 18-20 hours a week.
Location: This is a remote position with some travel required for extension events. Candidates must be located in Alberta, as the majority of events and programs requiring travel take place across the province.
Details: The Extension Coordinator role is a key position within AFAC. They develop and implement AFAC’s extension programming, including workshop and webinar development, public and producer programs, resource materials, and conduct school educational tours. They research and communicate the appropriate industry practices and programs with any interested parties, including the public, new producers, and industry members.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Plan, promote, and implement extension events, programs, and workshops that work towards improving animal care and welfare best practices.
- Coordinate event facilitators and the Extension Technical Writer on extension content and resources.
- Develop and distribute extension resources such as infographics, fact sheets, or informational videos in collaboration with AFAC team members.
- Stay up-to-date on industry updates and concerns (e.g., updates to Codes of Practice, disease events), and be knowledgeable about what is/is not appropriate for livestock welfare best practices and strategies.
- Collaborate with AFAC team members on the Insights newsletter content and distribution.
- Manage the Livestock Emergency Handling Trailer program and assist with trailer inquiries.
- Support and manage the dynamic Veterinary Clinic Directory.
- Proactively seek media coverage for extension initiatives, including writing press releases, newsletter articles, and advertisements. Perform media interviews for radio and TV as required.
- Plan and conduct the Fall Post-Secondary School Tour and other student engagement activities.
- Assist in planning and execution of the annual Livestock Care Conference as needed.
- Attend industry and livestock educational events, both digital and in-person, as needed.
- Assist with planning and content development for the AFAC Annual report yearly.
- Hold a degree in a related field and knowledge of the livestock sector OR have 3 -5 years of experience in extension work and livestock welfare knowledge
- Previous program/workshop development experience,
- Hold a valid class 5 drivers license;
- Have excellent communication and organization skills;
- Be able to multi-task different programs and projects throughout the year;
- Be able to fluently navigate through various computer programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite, Canva, MailChimp, Slack;
- Have a computer, telephone, and reliable internet.
- Be able to work individually and within teams.
To Apply: email resumes and cover letters to Kaylee Healy, Executive Director, at [email protected] with the subject line Extension Coordinator Application.
Deadline to Apply: February 1st, 2023 at 11:00 PM