The Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Pullets and Laying Hens requires that:
“All hens must be housed in enriched cage or non-cage housing systems that meet this Code’s requirements by July 1, 2036.”
Faced with this upcoming requirement, producers have many questions to consider:
- Enriched cages or non-cage housing?
- Renovate an old barn or build new?
- How will my management practices change?
- Will my feed costs go up or down?
- How will my lighting change?
- And on and on and on…